Monday, September 10, 2007

Life Ain't No Crystal Stair

Life Ain't No Crystal Stair
Langston Hughes

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

I love Langston Hughes' poetry! What a great post!!!

Jodi said...

I memorized this in fourth grade...

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This poem has been movin me since I was 10 yrs old. I understand it then, I understand it now......Through all Life's obstacles I have never given up. Only one in my fam to go to college, Thank you Jodi for posting this, thank you Langston Hughes, and Thank you Mom for showing through example how to move forward when " Life ain't no crystal stair"

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!