Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Another Baby

No, not me.

My sister. She recently received the surprise that she is expecting! It is very cool, since this will be the first child between she and her husband. They each had kids (he had twins, and she had a daughter) when they got married. Those kids are now 10 and 11, so the baby will have lots of babysitters. A couple weekends a month, they will have all four kids, which means lots of extra help fetching diapers and bottles and such. There hasn't been a new baby in my side of the family since Benny, so this will be an exciting something to look forward to. Today, I received the baby's first ultrasound pics. It's amazing how big the baby looks in the pics, yet in reality, he/she is probably a little over an inch long!

So incredible how every human being begins. So tiny. So alive. So fragile, yet so vigorous. It reminds me of what David said in the Bible about how God "knit me together in my mother's womb." When you see a baby like that, you can sense God's hand on it. You can sense His protection and handiwork. You can sense that something so incredible as the formation of a human being from a sperm cell and an egg - that the cells know exactly how to divide, and what body parts to turn into. Amazing. Certainly not a happenstance, but directed by an incredible God!!

Sometimes I think about the universe and how HUGE it is, and then see how He works with such tiny things like my sister's baby. Each end of this spectrum is so detailed and so intricate. Consider our universe. One degree closer to the sun, and we would burn up. One degree away, and we would freeze. Also consider how the smallest of cells in the formation of a human being know exactly what to do. I can only be in awe of a God who holds these very complex things in perfect balance.

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous-how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And, when I wake up, you are still with me!" (Psalms 139:13-18)

1 comment:

Chelle said...

How truly wonderful! Love how God works, showing more of himself through human life. A-MAZ-ING! Beautiful post.