Sunday, June 24, 2007

Self-Care

On Friday night, I took a paper crafting class at an awesome, little shop called Paper Muse. The teacher taught how to use the Tim Holtz "distress inks," which are small-sized stamp pads in colors that can give paper crafting stuff an antique look. It's pretty fun. As we constructed a folded, paper gift book using stamps and the inks, she taught us various techniques.

I almost didn't go, because I was having a bad day. But, I knew how good I feel when I can get to do some art, so I went for the therapy. It was pretty, darn good therapy if I do say so myself!

So, today, I'm thinking about self-care. One of the reasons I started a MOPS group a few years ago, was because I saw lots of mommies taking care of little ones 24/7, and doing nothing for themselves. I had great concern for these mommies and their emotional well-being. I have seen way to many women depressed due to their lack of self-care. I was surprised at how many women feel guilty for getting away and doing something for themselves! It's craziness. I also know way too many couples who have never gone away overnight together, since they have had kids. For some - it's been ten years!!! Ugh. It makes no sense to me. I'm not sure how they think their marriage can survive if they don't nurture that, too....

Anyway, I think self-care is important at any stage in life. Our world is too fast paced. It can become all work, work, work. And when you come home from work, you have a list of a million chores to do around the house. It's a life of imbalance.

When I read Genesis last week, I was reminded about the fact that God rested on the 7th day, after he created the Earth and everything in it. Now, really, God didn't need to rest. He did it because He is our Father, and He was being an example to us. In this crazy world, we would do well to follow God's example and rest. Schedule it into our list of to-do's if we have to!

God showed us an example of self-care. And, if you think about it, our families need us to take care of ourselves. Otherwise, we'll burn out so hard, we can't be there for them at all. Our kids won't die if we leave them with a babysitter for two hours. And, they're not going to die if we go away for the weekend with our spouse, either! In addition, there will always be something on our to-do lists. It will never be completed!

We can't keep doing this to ourselves, thinking that somehow, somewhere down the road, we'll have time to rest. We won't. Later won't come. It's become a lifestyle at that point. Until.....we come to the end of ourselves. We find ourselves depressed. We find ourselves without energy. We find ourselves dissatisfied with life and unhappy. We find that our marriage lacks companionship and affection. Good. Maybe now that we've hit rock bottom, we can make some changes. Stop. Rest. Relax. Enjoy. Just be.....

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I will be finishing up Genesis tomorrow, I was laughing out loud at some things. Interesting how I'm finding new things in the same scriptures. But anyway...

Love this post. I co-lead a fitness class for women at our church and I try to get this point across to them all the time. some listen, and are better for it. Some won't let it click and are still stressed, still run down, still feeling beaten up. I am not a mom yet, but I do understand the need for self care and the time for a mom and dad to also just be husband and wife.

All that to say, this post is fantastic, and thank you for posting it! Glad you are taking time for just you.