Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Treat



Simple things make me happy. This is my special treat in my special cup. It is a wide-mouthed cup that just makes me feel special to drink from. I like it. Drinking my vanilla latte just isn't as good and enjoyable without this cup. When I find that it is dirty, and I have enough time, I'll wash it, even though there are plenty of other cups to choose from.

I feel like this is a special treat to myself everyday. Maybe I learned to be happy with these simple things from not growing up with a lot of material stuff. I also think I learned it from being a young mom married to a military man, and basically being poor. I learned how important it was to stop and take care of me, amidst meeting the needs of little ones 24/7. I would get special bubble bath and light a candle and escape for an hour. Or, I would just go sit outside to be alone with my thoughts. Or, I would also get a special china tea cup and make loose leaf tea with a little strainer - actually boiling the water in a whistling teapot instead of the microwave.

I think there's something good for our souls to stop and enjoy. To take care of ourselves in this way. Even to appreciate God in this way - I stop often and marvel at flowers. They're everywhere, but I think, God didn't have to create so many different kinds in so many different colors, except that He wanted to because He liked the diversity. He enjoys them, and He set them on our planet for us to enjoy, too.

I get sick of flash and fancy-shmancy sometimes. I get sick of the too-fast life sometimes. I want the peace inside of slow and simple and enjoyment. To truly observe without having the brain whirling with to-do lists and busy thoughts.

It's fun for me to observe kids around 2 years old. Just sit back and really observe them sometime - how they are processing the world and interacting with other little ones. It'll just fill you up.

And, that's the thing. I get filled up when I stop to observe and enjoy and appreciate. Filled up with peace and a sense of God's presence. He is so very, very good and true. If only we would allow our soul to stop and soak this in more often....




1 comment:

Chelle said...

Amen sister, amen. Sign me up to walk in the slow lane for a while.