Monday, June 18, 2007

Admitting it...

I'm admitting it to you all, because maybe it will help me stick to it. I started my "Read Through The Bible In 90 Days" plan today! It's rigorous, I know. But, if I can handle the rigors of three college classes, I can surely do this. I read the first twelve chapters of Genesis today. I'm reading from the NLT, which is a new version to me. It's one that is often used at our church, so I bought Joe one for Christmas....Anyway, I'm really up for this reading plan right now, and I am excited to see how it gives me a new perspective on the Bible. I also know that God will probably use it to say something to me, and that excites me even more.

I was thinking it would be really fun to read "The Message" version of the Bible in this way. If you have never read from this version, I highly recommend it for "fun" reading. It's more like reading a novel. There are no verse numbers to distract you, and the language is totally, everyday English. It's not a study Bible, and it may be paraphrase (I'm not sure on that), but it does give you more of a feeling of the tone of a particular passage. I think that's what I like the most. Occasionally, if I am reading something in a certain translation, I will read what it sounds like in "The Message" to get a better feel for it.

Well, there ya go. I've admitted it now. I'm reading the Bible in 90 days. I have no idea why this sounded appealing to me, but it just did. I'm no super-Christian, nor do I have it all together. I think I would just like a big dose of God and His Word this summer. I need Him.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I wonder how much is lost in translation?!?! Who knows, since I can't read the Bible in the original language, now wouldn't that be cool? Praying for you and what God has for you as you read through the next 90 days!! :)