Monday, June 18, 2007

West Side Story

There are things I want to blog about, but never get to, due to lack of time....But, I must talk about West Side Story!!!! I took the girls last Thursday night. It was their first time at 5th Ave., so they were enamored with how it looked inside - just like I was when I saw my first play in 5th grade. I saw "Annie" there. I got a tape of the music and a big "Annie" button. Then, I got my hair cut and permed like Annie. After that, everything my sister and I did was about Annie. My Barbie was the "orphanage lady," when we played Barbies. Our pretend playing usually included orphans and a mean orphanage lady, too......I digress....

The sets in West Side Story were incredible, and the casting was very well done. There is a lot of dancing in this musical, and the dancers were fabulous. It's so awesome that even a fight scene is done in dance form....Even today, this musical pushes the envelope, so I can only imagine how people felt watching it in the late 50's when it first came out. For example, when harsh, racial slurs were made by the police chief, the audience audibly cringed. It was pretty powerful. The singers were marvelous, and the acting so believable. It's hard to describe in words....

We had great seats, and we snaggged some cushions that lifted us up so we could see over some tall people. The girls loved it. We keep singing the music.....There's just nothing like going to see a live show. It takes you on an emotional journey like none other. It is truly magical......

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

Reading this makes me excited for when my girls are a little older to take them to the theater. I'm so tempted to fork over the cash to take them to Broadway and see something like Beauty and the Beast...but I keep debating if they are too young to justify the expense...or will it be a permenant influence?!