Thursday, June 28, 2007

What day is it again?

Do you ever have a day that is more like two days? Yesterday, my oldest got her wisdom teeth removed in the morning. It only took an hour, but I left the office to kill some time. There wasn't anything open at 9 AM, except Target. Oh, and of course, Starbucks. But, it seemed like the hour took two. After I got back to the office, I waited for her to become more alert, and we got her to the truck. Once home, taking care of my daughter pretty much consumed my day. Not to mention, my other teen daughter had a fever and was sick. Then, my son was feeling neglected, and bugging me to watch him ride his bike. My husband works nights, so he was sleeping most of the day. It was just a long day! Maybe it seemed long, because I was writing down the times I administered my daughter's meds, so I wouldn't mess up. Plus, going up and down the stairs checking on her, making sure she wasn't in pain or nauseous. Then, I got up at 3 AM to give her more pain meds, so she wouldn't wake up on fire in the morning....Anyway, it's one of those days, that was so focused with caretaking and calculating the last time I gave her meds, it seemed like two, and I forgot what day it even was. I couldn't remember: was it yesterday that she got her teeth removed, or today? Oh yeah - it was today!

I did get my Bible reading in. I'm reading Numbers. Numbers is....well....very dull. In fact, I skipped over some stuff that was quite repetitive. It talked about the tribes of Israel and their leaders, and the counting of all of the males 20 years and older (and the Levite males one month old and older). Then, what the leaders of those tribes sacrificed for their clans. It also talked about how the clans were organized in their family groups with a banner representing them, as well as the order they would be in in a battle. I guess what I get from all of this is, that after the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt, God was bringing order to His people. Most of them had never known freedom, so they probably didn't know how to govern themselves. They were now their own people, so they needed leaders, and priests, and laws, and consequences for breaking them. Most importantly, they needed a way to restore their relationship with God when they sinned, and that was through the sacrifices of animals (and grain). This was how God said they could be purified. Anyway, so ever since the people left Egypt, God was about the business of forming them into an organized, lawful people who followed Him. So, all of this detail in Numbers as far as counting all the males for battle, and all of the Levites (priests) shows how orderly God is. Numbers even talks about which groups within the Levites would take care of certain portions of the Tabernacle. Very specific stuff. Maybe it was a loving thing God did to give the Israelites these specific instructions, so they would prosper. After all, they are called His "sheep," and sheep are known for being very stupid, and just following along with the crowd. By showing them exactly what to do, and how to do it, they were able to be successful. Hey-He was being their loving Shepherd! And, I noticed while I was reading, that they were sure doing everything exactly as God had told them. It kept saying that: "Moses did everything exactly as God had commanded him." They seem to have all stopped complaining for the time being, and are finally trusting God and doing what He says....

No comments: