Saturday, June 30, 2007

I Spoke Too Soon...

Those Israelites. I spoke too soon when I said in my last post, that they seemed like they had stopped complaining. In my last readings in Numbers, that's all they did!! Whine, whine, whine. And, this time God got ticked. He really started wiping some people out in this part of the book of Numbers. Rightly so. I mean, here they had seen God show his power and love to them in a variety of hugely miraculous events, and then they forget all about it, and complain about water and food. Please!

This morning, I was thinking about life application regarding this portion of Numbers. Don't we all do the whining thing? I think we do. I think we forget about the things God has done in our lives, and what we have seen Him do in others' lives, and we start to complain when things aren't going well. I've done the "why me" thing more than once. We would probably do well to remember the power and love of God shown throughout the Bible. He's the same God!! He is the same, yesterday, today and forever! Maybe if we compared our circumstance to God parting the Red Sea, or rescuing the Israelites from Egypt, we could have more faith that God is going to redeem our situation, too. Like the Israelites, I think we forget who the God is that we serve - what He's capable of and how much He loves us. Man - do you think if we saw with our own eyes, the parting of the Red Sea, that we would ever doubt God again?! It seems hard to believe that the Israelites did, but it's kind of what we do when life gets hard, if we really admit it.....

No comments: