Saturday, January 5, 2008

Back To School

I went back to classes on Wednesday. My Anatomy & Physiology prof did not come both days, but we expected that, as she had surgery. However, we were supposed to have a sub for our lecture, who didn't show up for both of those days. It's sort of deflating to begin the quarter sitting around waiting for a teacher to come - plus, how unprofessional is that! Anyway, our prof did make copies of some work for us to begin, and boy, do I mean work! Since my youngest kids are still on Christmas break from their school, I am trying to balance time with them and getting my studying in. I'll be glad when they start back on Monday, so I can have a good chunk of the day for uninterrupted studying. Then, I can focus on them when they get home......

I am also taking a Public Speaking class. We're supposed to be coming up with an "umbrella topic" this weekend to base all of our four speeches on throughout the quarter. I have two ideas. What do you think: "The Art of the Handwritten Note/Letter" or "Burnout." We're supposed to do two informative speeches, one editorial commentary and one persuasive speech based on our topic. We should carefully choose a topic, as we will be stuck with it, and it should be something we will enjoy talking about......I was thinking that this is a great opportunity to make a spiritual impact in some way, through the topic of Burnout. I could talk on Spiritual Burnout in my second speech, highlighting on the fact that "religion" means earning approval from God through works, which we can burn out on......I was thinking about how I could slide in a very subtle explanation of the basis of true Christianity. That sounds kind of exciting, but challenging too!! I don't know...I think I need the teacher's help deciding....I bet she won't like the "religious" one!

6 comments:

Chelle said...

I love both the topics. Being the trouble maker I am, I would choose the topic of burnout...mainly because talking about Jesus would make some uncomfortable and challenge them and myself. Regardless, you will do great!

Ro said...

I think that Burnout would be broadly appealing, since it can happen to anyone, anywhere, in any walk of life. You never know what discussions it could bring on with a classmate later one. I was so relieved when I first read your website just to have a name for what I had been going through!

Jodi said...

Thank you, Rochelle. I'm so glad something in my blog was helpful. I am going forward with my plan to address burnout in my speech class. I have had no trouble finding resources, so I think it's going to be good. My challenge is if I go into spiritual/church burnout in another speech, and how to talk about it in a palatable way to the various types of people in the class. I could use your prayers for sure!

Anonymous said...

Not to be the negative one but I'm wondering if people in your class, assuming they are not saved or church attenders, will even comprehend the idea of church burnout. I don't think it's a concept they've even considered existed. Do you know what I mean? I don't know, maybe it's not the best way to get onto the topic of God and Christianity. It doesn't sound too inviting to me to consider Christianity when hearing about it in the light of burnout. Just a thought. Do what you think is best.

Jodi said...

Yes, Tom. Those are very good thoughts. I've been thinking about that a lot. I don't want to turn anyone away from checking out church, you know? I may just touch on my personal story as I discuss burnout in general, and talk about my faith more generally....

Jodi said...

Yes, Tom. Those are very good thoughts. I've been thinking about that a lot. I don't want to turn anyone away from checking out church, you know? I may just touch on my personal story as I discuss burnout in general, and talk about my faith more generally....