Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Drive-Thru Life

At church on Saturday night, our pastor mentioned in his message that we can treat God like a drive-thru: "I'd like one miracle, two healings and a side of fries, please." Then, this morning, I read an article about prayer that said the same thing (maybe God is trying to tell me something?). It said that our culture is used to "instant" stuff, like fast food, microwaves and the internet. The article went on to say that our relationship with God is not like microwave popcorn, but like growing a field of corn. I thought to myself: "EEeww. Process. I hate process - it's too slow!" I don't like things to go slow. I get ansy and frustrated. I like things to go fast. I don't want to wait to become closer to God. I don't want to wait for my marriage to grow. I don't want to wait for my emotional healing. I don't want to wait for friendships to develop. I don't want to wait for God to show me what He wants me to do. I want it now......I guess it sounds like I want life in a drive-thru.....OK, Lord. I got it......But, I'm really not sure what to do about it....I have a thought: maybe that's what the Bible means by "resting" in Him. That we're supposed to just sit back, relax and ride the ride, trusting Him that He will be taking us to the next step....Oh! I just remembered something my Biology teacher said yesterday, actually! He said "inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, life is hard." Wow - maybe God is trying to tell me something....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes but it is so much harder than it sounds.....

Chelle said...

That is some good stuff in that entry. Thanks for writing about it.