Sunday, June 1, 2008

Kentridge 20 Year Reunion

Yes, this summer is my 20th high school reunion. Kentridge High School. I didn't go to the 10th reunion. Didn't want to. I probably won't go to the 20th either. Since I knew more people in Joe's class (from the year before), I would have enjoyed his reunion last year, but he didn't want to go to his, either. He already sees the people he enjoys seeing from high school on a regular basis.

The thing is, I just didn't enjoy high school. In fact, on the last day of my senior year, our teacher let us out two minutes early. I made a bee-line for the "check out" table, and then to my car, so I could LEAVE. I didn't hang out. I didn't say good-byes. I just left. It was a great day.

I just didn't fit in anywhere. I was a pretty girl, but didn't have much money for trendy fashions, and lacked some social skills, too. I made the JV cheer squad, but that was only because one of the cheerleaders was found drunk at a dance, so they called me (the runner up) to take her place. Some people said I was "popular," but I didn't think so. I didn't party. I didn't drink. I didn't have sex. I had a couple of boyfriends, and not much of a social life. I was nice to everybody. Said "hi" in the hallways constantly as I walked to class. I was in the "peer helper" club called "Natural Helpers," which was something you had to be voted into. I guess people thought I was a good listener or something. I just wish I had more fun.

I shouldn't say it was ALL bad. I met Joe my sophomore year, and we started going out toward the end of my junior year. I had fun with his friends and all the social stuff they did. We also went to Young Life together, and I went to a Young Life camp. I finally felt like I had a social life. But, then he graduated and left for the Navy. All his friends went to college. I felt lonely my senior year. I even withdrew, and didn't eat lunch in the cafeteria or on "senior bench." I sat with some other misfits in the home ec room during lunch. We had great conversations.

My saving grace during my senior year was drama. I auditioned for the old lady, "Mrs. Dubose" in "To Kill A Mockingbird," and got that. I also auditioned for the school musical "Wonderful Town" and got the lead role. I also got a lead role in a small play performed at a variety show, called "The American Dream." Doing the plays allowed me to make friends and build my self-esteem.

My parents hardly let me do anything socially, so I guess I didn't even try. They kept a tight leash, and never seemed to want to let it out. It was tough. It drove Joe nuts when we were going out in high school. Little did my parents know how trustworthy and godly I truly was. But, we didn't really have much of a relationship, so how could they know, I guess.

In high school, I would hear about other kids planning to go to college. I figured that was what I was supposed to do, too. I didn't have any guidance from anyone - not even a school counselor. (Thank goodness it's much different nowadays). I told my parents I wanted to go to college. They said I couldn't go. Then, I said I wanted to be a nurse and I found a program at a community college. I even met with an advisor and mapped out a little plan. They said they couldn't afford it. Nothing more. They didn't help me find a way, or talk to a financial aid counselor. Nothing. And, I didn't know any better. I was only 17 years old. What did I know? I just accepted what they said, and did what I never wanted to do. I went to a little computer school and got a job as a secretary at Boeing. I paid for half of it myself, and my grandmother paid for the other half.

Two years later I was married. Three months later, I was pregnant. And, I guess you know the rest. I committed to staying at home with my kids, and now I'm going back to school to fulfill my long-time dream.

I think, because of my high school and post-high school experiences, I am extremely committed to seeing my kids do what they want to do. I will support them in any way possible to see them achieve their goals. If I can't afford it, I'll help them find a way to do it. When they have no clue, I will guide them with my life experience. Nothing will keep them from it, as long as they have me. It's my mission and one of my greatest passions as a mom....

Oh yeah. The reunion. It might be fun to see what people look like now, and what they're doing. But, I can get most of that information on the Classmates website. I love to go dancing with my husband, so I would love for the two of us to get to do that at the reunion. But, is that really worth $88 bucks a person? Naaaaaaaaaa......

No comments: