Thursday, February 19, 2009

Boobs and fake testicles

We started scanning breasts in our lab today. I know this is crass, but decided that I really like scanning boobs. I had one of mine scanned. I have a lot of fat in it, but this is because of my age. I scanned all ages and sizes today. The smaller ones are not as fun as the bigger ones. But, you can see the chest wall muscles really well with small ones. That was cool. I asked my lab teacher what she would think about scanning breasts all day. She said something about wanting to kill herself or something like that. I don't know if I could ONLY scan breasts all day long everyday - I might get sick of it, I guess, but I really liked it today.......

Our lab teacher made fake testicles and a penis out of water balloons today. She tied them to one of my classmates with a nylon. This was done to show us how to position the male genitalia for a scrotal exam. I'm sure that the first real scrotal exam I perform will be awkward for me, but I intend to think about doing the best exam I can - just as I would want for my husband, son or grandfather.

While both of these types of exams will be somewhat awkward, I think about how life-saving they can be. Men and women die from cancers in these areas of their body, but when they are found early, it makes all the difference in the world. I look forward to getting good at what I do so I can find these abnormalities and really help someone.

The thing is, school is so intense right now that it feels like FOREVER before I'll be good at my job. It's amazing what I can do already, but I know there is still so much MORE to learn and do. In about a month, I will begin my clinicals one day per week. So, it really isn't so far away that I'll begin scanning real patients. It's just so HARD right now and I'm TIRED. I'll never be tired enough to give up, but I sure am TIRED......

Please pray for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.

Tom

Organized Chaos said...

The title of your post definitely caught my eye and some of the things you said made me LOL.

Praying you don't feel too overwhelmed in the next weeks and months.

Chelle said...

YOU ARE DOING AWESOME!!!!!

That title? It about made me leap out of my seat. :)

Jodi said...

I thought the title would have good shock factor. :) I did that on purpose.