Sunday, August 3, 2008

Recent Reading

I just finished the book, "Joni," by Joni Eareckson Tada. I read it when I was a young teenager, and I actually bought it, hoping my girls would read it.

I ended up reading it myself.

I got a lot out of it this time around, particularly toward the end with some added chapters in her 25th anniversary edition. She shared a lot of her life lessons, including verses to go with them. Here's a few things I honed in on:

1. Suffering is a part of life. Paul said "rejoice in suffering." James said "welcome trials as friends." Peter said "do not think it strange in the testing of your faith." Romans 5:3-5 says: "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment......"

2. God never places any real emphasis on the present - except as preparation for the future...the only thing we can take to Heaven with us is our character.

3. Circumstances in my life have been placed for the purpose of cultivating my character and conforming me to reflect Christlike qualities.

4. Wisdom is trusting God, not asking "Why God?" Relaxed in His will, I know He is in control.

If you're not familiar with the story, it is a true story about Joni's accident and subsequent paralysis from the neck down. It is also a story about how God worked in her life to bring her into an authentic relationship with Him, how He shaped her character and ultimately used her paralysis for His glory. I think it is a must-have book for any home library....

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

I got the chance to meet Joni and host her around Focus on the Family when I worked there...she spent time with the students in the program I was in charge of...she is very funny (which surprised me) and just a genuinly neat person! I agree, her story and her book are so powerful!

Jodi said...

That is awesome! How COOL.