Monday, April 21, 2008

Saturday's Message

We heard a great message at church on Saturday night. Sometimes I like to write about it, so it implants in my memory banks. I'll try to remember the highlights. Here goes.

Our pastor (Roger) spoke about Jesus words "I Am The Life," in John 14:1-6, to begin a series about Jesus being THE way, THE truth and THE life. He used the acrostic, LIFE to structure his outline. The talk was generally about how to experience Jesus as "THE life."

L: Love God and love people. (see Mark 12:28-31)
-Jesus was asked by religious leaders what commandment was the greatest one, and he
answered, "love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all
your strength." Then, "love your neighbor as yourself."
-Are we loving God and others this way? One way to know is to look at your day planner
and your checkbook. It will tell you a lot about who or what you love!

I: Intentionally live life. (see Jeremiah 29:11)
-Begin and end your day with God. Be intentional and diligent about spending time with
Him.

F: Forgive, forgive, forgive. (see Luke 23:33-34)
-It's not about issues, it's about relationships. The bar has been set by Jesus, who, on the
cross forgave the people for the things they were doing. He forgave right THEN -
immediately, not later.

E: Expect greatness of yourself and your God. (see Matthew 5:44-48 and Eph.
2:10)

-Dream big dreams of God and what God has for you. We are all called to a purpose: to love
God and be a bridge between God and others. We don't have to be in vocational ministry to
do that. We should ask God to use us to encourage and share Christ in our workplace. A
ministry vocation is not more sacred than being an insurance salesman, or
stay-at-home-mom, etc. All things are created by God, and so all things are sacred. People
are everywhere, so He has placed us where we are to reach out to the people in that
workplace.

Roger said that he is going to be touching on the recent teachings of Eckhart Tolle and Oprah, and showing us how we are not "narrow-minded" to say that Jesus is the ONLY way to God, but "single-minded." The current thinking is "double-minded," and thus lacks solidity and assuredness. I am looking forward to this, as the Lord has given me some opportunities to share with others about the truth related to the Oprah thing lately......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.