Saturday, February 9, 2008

It's Over

It's Over. That feels good to say! Ben had his oral surgery on Thursday morning, and is doing great today. I have not been great, anticipating this whole thing, and waiting in the waiting room during the TWO hour surgery did not help alleviate any of my chest pain. BUT- HE is fine, and that's all that matters to me. The doc removed four supernumerary teeth (extra baby teeth) that were up in his upper jaw, as well as four more baby teeth on top so the permanents can have an easier time coming in. Ben asked him to save the teeth, and they put most (some were too broken) of them in an envelope. He couldn't wait to cash in!

I can't tell you how good it felt to finally see them walking my boy out to us in the patient pick-up room. I helped him to the car and into his booster. He started whimpering and did so all the way home. We had to stop by the pharmacy for his meds, but when they said it would be a half hour wait, we grabbed him a milkshake and took him home. He was really sounding miserable. He was also a little awnry. I got him to eat his milkshake, which he said was "yucky," even though I got him to eat most of it. He also got very mad when I put on "High School Musical 2," instead of High School Musical 1." I slipped him some Tylenol with Codeine, and he slept for the next four hours, anyway. He remembers nothing about the day. He doesn't even remember going to the doctor's office, thanks to the Valium. I think parents should get Valium, too. It only seems fair.

After he woke up, he started vomiting. All that work to fill up his tummy, and there it went. I finally figured out it was the Tylenol with Codeine, so we discontinued that. I was so worried that he would end up in a lot of pain, but no! As a matter of fact, I have not had to give him ANY pain meds, not even regular Tylenol. After an extensive oral surgery, he has not complained of any pain. I think that is very weird. The doc says that young children and the elderly do very well with oral surgery, and often don't need the meds afterwards. Wow.

Today is the third day, which is supposed to be a typical bad day after surgery. Not so with Ben, and I thank the Lord for that! The only thing he got a little upset about today, was that his stitches were coming out and bothering him. I was told that I could cut them, but I think it scared him a little bit. I got my sewing snippers out, and they worked just fine. Anyway, the hardest part today, is keeping him sitting or lying down and keeping him fed! He is on a fairly liquid/soft diet, and I don't think it's filling him up, so he is constantly asking for something.

I thank God for watching over my son and keeping him safe during such a long surgery. There is still some concern about the teeth that will be coming in, but I will continue to trust the Lord with those. God watches out for our babies, and I am SO thankful.

Today, I bought the requested "Mars Mission" Legos with Ben's tooth fairy money. I also got him one of those fuzzy posters to color, with the hope of keeping him sitting down. I also rented a couple of movies for him, so I think he's got enough to keep him busy.

3 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Glad to hear he made it through everything okay...I'm a little disappointed there are no photos! :)

Jodi said...

OK. I just added the pics. They made me cry....It's not your fault - they just made me cry. It's been so hard for me....

Chelle said...

Glad to hear everyone is OK..parents included! Love the pics two posts up, he's so adorable...even without the teeth :)