Monday, February 25, 2008

The Cost of Working Outside the Home

I was thinking the other day how different it is going to be when I eventually finish school and start working. I am hoping to have a work schedule that fits with my family, but it's still going to be a big change. I feel blessed that I have stayed home with my kids thus far. They are little for such a short, short time, and I am so grateful that I haven't missed a thing. Plus, I know it's been good for them on many levels. Staying home hasn't come without "sacrifices," which I almost can't call them that. In our younger days, it was very, very tough financially, but God always provided for us. We didn't have nice cars, and we didn't buy our first home until we were married for 10 years. We're doing better today, but we still don't live extravagantly. There's just things we don't buy, and places we don't shop. We've learned how to make decisions about things we just don't NEED or HAVE to have. We have learned to be frugal.

I know it must be hard for moms who really have to work outside the home. I can't imagine how hard it is to drop that tiny baby off at daycare for the day. I wonder though, how many actually HAVE to work? I wonder, if they narrowed down their lives to just the necessities, could they make it OK? I read an article that brings it home. I will copy and paste here:



How Much Does it Really Cost to Work Outside the Home?

Many families say it's a matter of economics - that's why they have to work. But have you really sat down to figure out how much you are really earning when you go to work? Forget just working for free most of the time for paying for daycare, have you considered the other expenses involved with working outside the home?

1. Take a look at your net income after taxes and other deductions.
2. How much does child care cost?
3. How much do you spend on transportation? - consider everything - bus fare, gas, parking, car insurance, etc.
4. How much do you spend buying lunches, snacks and coffees that could be made at home?
5. How much do you spend on clothing for work?

When you add up items 2 through 5, you'll often find that the total is larger than the number in item 1. Even if it is smaller, is that amount worth having someone else taking care of you children? These are things you have to look at. Perhaps, you only have one child now, but consider if you have more children in the future? Your expenses can skyrocket. It's a matter of deciding what's most important.

4 comments:

Chelle said...

This is me, this is me clapping for this post! Kudos, and oh how true! :)

Jodi said...

Sounds like you're going to stay home! YAY for YOU!! Good job!

Chelle said...

Yes, I am staying home. Besides, I have worked in a day care before. From that point on I decided I would not put my child in one. Plus, I have a husband who wants that too. Lucky me!!! :)

I'm excited for you and your new adventures though. You will be wonderful with the people whom you come into contact with!!!

Jodi said...

It's so nice that you and your husband see that the same way. My husband and I also agreed on me staying at home. In fact, it was kind of a "given," and we really didn't even need to discuss it much.