Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Realization

I was driving in the car the other day, and I sort of realized that I am a working mom now. I mean, I know I've been going to school and beginning my full-time clinical rotations, but as I am approaching the end of my summer break, I realize that this is my last long vacation at home like this. I start my next rotation soon, which ends in June. After that, I will become employed.

After being at home for 15 years before I started this new college adventure, this is kind of a big realization for me. I'm going to be one of those moms now.

Even though I have always been a proponent for staying at home, I've never really been critical of moms who work outside the home. I think staying at home is awesome, but I don't think its what every woman should do. Some say the Bible states that women "should" do this, and have taken a couple of verses and turned them into huge homemaking theologies (I would go so far as saying "religions"). Some even say that a woman's only role is to be a wife and a mother and that's it. I don't think that's what the Bible says.

I'm happy that I chose to stay home during my kids' youngest years. I feel very happy that my kids have never been in daycare, nor will they ever go to daycare. I'm their mom and I want to raise them. But now that they are all in school full-time, I am excited to explore the God-given interests and abilities I have been gifted with.

When I began this college endeavor, I asked the Lord to guide me and protect me from going in a direction that He wouldn't want me to go in. I asked Him to close the doors if this isn't the best for me and my family. Every step of the way, the Lord has given me success. The classes I have attempted have been beyond my imagination that I would even pass, much less get an "A." But, the Lord granted me success - even "A's." Every test, I have given to Him. Every class, I have given to Him - waiting to see if He would not allow me to move forward. But, He has allowed me to be where I am today. I give him the glory and credit for it all.

I believe God gave me the love for medical things, for human anatomy, an analytical mind, a desire to heal. I believe He gave me my personality and abilities to be a ministry to others. I believe my new job is going to be a ministry - no job is more sacred than another - everything we do is to be done "for the glory of God."

God also made me a mother. Staying home when I did was the best thing for my children. It was something my husband and I never had to discuss - we knew it was what we were going to do. Yet, we also knew that I had dreams and gifts God had given me, and at the right time, I would develop those. Now is the time, and by His grace, God has allowed it.

I look forward to what I'm going to be doing, not to mention the paychecks that will allow me to supplement our family life. I also think about how I could give to others in need. I especially am excited to help my children go to college and fulfill their God-given dreams. I will celebrate them pursuing the desires of their heart, since God put those desires there. They may not become spouses or parents, but if God has those things planned for their life, I will celebrate that, too.

I don't believe there is a formula for the role a mother, a wife (or a Christian, for that matter) that everyone should follow. I believe in the greatest commandments: "Love the Lord God with all your heart, with all of your soul and with all of your mind." And, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22). I think when we live out these commandments with the unique personalities and gifts God has given us, life is special and exciting.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Proud of you girl! I think the hardest thing of being a mom is finding a balance between life in the home and outside of it. Kudos to you for taking advantage of both!

Jodi said...

Definitely! I'm so happy to have been home when they were very small. Its such a precious time. :)

Elle J said...

Loved this post!! Congratulations, Jodi, for all your hard work raising your children and going back to school. You have listened well and the fruits of your labor are paying off.

Bethany said...

I loved this blog!! I completely believe what you said about God wanting you to use your gifts. Why would he give you desires, passions and skills if he didn't want you to use them? I know that you're an amazing mother and will do an excellent job in the medical field and that your kids will be so proud of you and be able to follow in your footsteps in pursuing their dreams. Go get 'em girl!!

buy rift platinum said...

WoW! well said then. . super enjoyed reading your blog. . =)