Saturday, March 17, 2007

Youth Conference

My girls spent the weekend at a youth conference hosted by our church. I was so excited for them, I wished I could go! :) The conference included other youth groups from around the region in our denomination, as well as some groups from other churches. It started Thursday night with a speaker and fun. On Friday, the girls skipped school and were at the conference at 9:00 AM for two sessions of speakers. Then, they hopped on charter busses (Amanda went to Seattle with the high-schoolers, and Melanie went to the mall for scavenger hunts and food). Everyone reconvened for another speaker at 7:00 PM and a concert at 10:00 PM. I went to bed, so I have no idea when Joe picked them up. Melanie had a friend spend the night, and they're going back for the final session this morning (Saturday).....It reminds me of the days Joe and I were youth pastors, and took groups of kids places.....

Anyway, I'm just so pleased and proud that my kids are in such an awesome youth group. This time in their lives is so short, and I'm so glad they are involved in something as successful as this. They are truly loved on, receive quality teaching and are given opportunities to get to know other kids more closely. I love that my girls are in small groups with kids from their schools. There's something to be said for knowing other Christian kids from your school. It's such a great kind of encouragement in the daily grind of school....

I love the church for myself, too....I've just begun to try to call it "my" church. It feels strange to have invested so much time and energy in the other church, and go call some other place "my" church. I probably will feel more ownership if I start serving, I'm sure. But, I'm still not really ready. Plus, I'm pretty focused on school. Family and school. That's what encompasses my life right now....

No comments: